Sunday, May 17, 2009

Why were you crying?

Today I was given the opportunity to teach the 'Temple Marriage' lesson to the Young Women. Heidi (the new YW president) asked me earlier in the week, and I really enjoyed getting the lesson ready. I loved being able to wander HobbyLobby and let my creative juices flow as I reflected on what to make as a handout. By Sunday all came together and the lesson went well (thanks to lots of prayer and prep time). Of course I cried as I was able to testify about the importance and blessings of the temple. Anyway, we came home, made lunch and once done Trent and I went into our room for our Sunday afternoon nap.
Joey followed and stood at the edge of the bed talking about little things. After a minute or two I said to him, "Hey, Joey, I cried at church today". He looked at me and asked why. Rather than answer I asked him why he thinks I cried. Joey said, "Maybe because you had to do a talk, sometimes people cry in a talk". I told him, "I did cry when I gave my talk, but why do talks make some people cry?" He thought for a minute, "Maybe because they say the wrong words." We laughed and then he added, "or, maybe because they don't want to give a talk." We continued laughing, but then were able to use the teaching moment to talk about the Holy Ghost and how sometimes we can feel the spirit so strong that we might cry. Also, we talked about when the Holy Ghost might talk to us and how. The whole incident was about 5 minutes, but I sure am thankful for those small opportunities to teach my children, times when they are truly ready to listen. I do love being a mom:)

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure he'll remember the experience for a long time. How sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny! I delegate when I don't want to give a talk :) You did awesome! How am I going to follow that act, especially when the topic is "personal records"? Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great story. Kids are so funny. I would cry if I had to give a talk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is it most every state has a hobby lobby, but not CA?

    Cute story. My class is in charge of Sharing time on Sunday. The weeks theme is on listening to the promptings of the spirit. Any cute ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been studying the Book of Mormon the past few months. I've always hated how I cry whenever I bear my testimony, give a talk or a lesson at church. I like feeling the spirit so strong. It's nice when the spirit is the one to take over for you, but it would be nice not to have the crying effect too. As I read Joey's story I thought, well at least I'm not like the people in the Book of Mormon and I just fall unconsious to the ground every time I feel the spirit so strong! I thought trying to talk around my crying was hard! But then again, I doubt I'd continue to be asked to teach or do speaking assignments if I passed out during it every time!
    I love Joey. Thanks for sharing him with me so much on your trip. I could adopt him, no problem. I don't even think Rick would have a problem with that adoption. Ben and Joey are so great together!

    ReplyDelete