Tuesday, May 5, 2009

What's that smell?

So... I have a two year old in the house. You would think with her being child number six I'd remember to keep things up and out of the way. Honestly, I thought I was doing a pretty good job. I have a door knob blocker on the bathroom and try to keep all the sharp and poisonous stuff out of sight and out of reach. Rachael's latest passion is cool, creamy, gooey stuff. Doesn't matter if it's lotion, butter (which she loves to eat and feed to the dog, by the way), medicine (we've gone through several tubes of Neosporin in the last few weeks), glue (we have to really watch where we keep glue sticks, she thinks they are chapstick) or toothpaste. The first time it's kind of funny, but once the numbers get into the double digits, it sort of stops being funny and I'm tired of cleaning it all up. A few nights ago she walked into the kitchen completely covered in toothpaste. I did snicker, but I think Trent thought it was a sigh of exasperation. He grabbed her and volunteered to clean it all up. I was fine with that, and continued to work on the computer. The next morning we were in a bit of rush and as I was brushing my hair and heating up my flat iron, I was telling Rachael to find her shoes. Still distracted, I grabbed the flat iron and started straightening my bangs.... I immediately heard a strange sizzle sound and then smelled something burning. I quickly pulled the iron away from my hair and took a closer look. I guess Trent didn't see the big globs of toothpaste all down the side of my straightener. I touched my hair and, yep it was nice and crispy, but at least I smelled minty fresh.

4 comments:

  1. HA! I guess that's what you call looking on the bright side! There's nothing like that minty fresh feeling:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am so with you! I just finished cleaning lipstick off the wall. I never even wear lipstick! Where on earth did she find it?! And this afternoon I discovered pepper dumped in my serving bowls. I'd only noticed it on the countertop earlier. Yep, fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca, it's probably good we live so far apart...can you imagine the damage our two little girls could do if they were allowed to play together;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least hair grows back...that's what I always tell myself anyway. Hope the damage wasn't too bad.

    I'm glad Kaleb isn't into the gooey stuff yet. He just eats dirt and anything waxy--most recently, birthday candles.

    ReplyDelete