Monday, April 6, 2009

Joey's 7th Birthday

When I was growing up, it was a tradition that about a month before our birthdays my mom would have us look through "The Cut-Up Cake Book". We would then decide which cake we wanted her to make to celebrate the upcoming day. Of course, it was never an easy decision and I'm sure all of us changed our minds many times within that month.
When I became a mom, I was given a copy of "The Cake Book" to continue the tradition. Over the years I've accumulated several different books and my kids love to look through them. This year Joey picked Firecrackers. I find this pattern a bit boring and tried to talk him into a more exciting one, but he stuck with his original choice. So, here is a picture of the firecrackers I made for Joey's 7th birthday. (Not very exciting, but quite tasty.)
Another tradition we've established is to take the birthday child out of school at lunch time and take him to lunch. Rather than return to school, we do some shopping for a gift or just go home (so they can play with said gift before the rest of the brothers get home). This year, Joey's birthday fell during Spring Break, so we let him pick a friend to go with him to his choice of restaurant. Joey picked his best school friend, Noah. As you can probably tell, they chose to go to Chuck E. Cheese. Only Joey, Noah and I went, and the boys had a wonderful time. I had a coupon for a good deal on over 100 tokens and since it was just the two of them splitting the tokens they were able to play for a couple of hours!

After eating and playing, we made our way to Toys R Us. Joey loves to play board games and so the plan was to let him pick out a game and that would be his present from Trent and I. After going through all the games (twice) it was time to use the restroom. On the way back to the game aisle we passed the Fisher Price Imagination toys. Joey saw this (see pic) collection and asked if he could have it for his birthday. This from a boy who told me a few months ago, "You can give away all my toys because I'm too big to play with them." Heck, it was his birthday, so that's what he got. It was a bit pricey so I told him it would be from us and his grandparents (I used the money his grandparents sent to pay for the set additions) Once home, the kids had a blast setting it up and playing for a while. Then they went outside to play swords and explore the woods.
All in all I think it was a very nice 7th birthday.
(I still can't believe my little boy is 7 years old!)

2 comments:

  1. What a fun tradition! Kaitlyn designed her birthday cake this year and presented me with a drawing of what it should look like. It was actually really cute and fancy. I'll have to get help from a friend who knows how to decorate cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it looks like an awesome cake to me! Don't let my kids see your cakes---they may realize they've been missing out all this time:) from the look on your son's face, he had a FANTASTIC birthday! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete