Saturday, April 25, 2009

Opposition in all things

Life has been a little stressful... About 10 days ago I woke up to a horrible smell coming from somewhere in the house. It smelled like the geysers at Yellowstone, if you know what I mean. As soon as I thought they'd be open, I called Sewer Bee. The guy was able to come out in the afternoon and said our septic was full, so he pumped it ($200), but that really didn't explain the smell. He recommended we call a plumber... not something I wanted to hear. I called the one that was recommended and he was able to come the next day. He looked up at the pipes for a long time. He asked several questions, like if we had any drainage issues, which we do. He figured out all our drainage issues and then fixed the smell!!! He also replaced a pipe coming from the kitchen (it wasn't giving us any problems, but he said the T-joint was upside-down and eventually it would cause problems. He didn't write it down or anything, I think it just bugged him and he had to get it out of there) He also fixed the pipes under the kitchen sink so they would stop leaking. ($400)
I was starting to feel like everything was back to normal when I went out to check on our newly acquired lambs. The one that had been the most frisky was now hobbling all over the place and was very thin. I called Trent and then my friend Heidi. Heidi brought some of her sheep supplies and we fed it a bottle and forced some medicine down its throat. After a few times of doing this and a few days rest it was much better.
I'm not used to so much drama and was so glad to relax a bit. Friday night Maddie came over, she's the other Webelos leader. We were planning out the next few months when I noticed how hot the house was. The ac was running, but it wasn't blowing cool air. I turned the unit off and planned to call Budget on Monday morning. Monday morning the bus took the boys to school and I planned to feed the animals before I called Budget. I noticed the little white lamb wasn't looking well. I picked her up, and she was almost dead! I brought her out to the back of the truck and looked her over. Her stomach was blown up like a balloon and she was quiet and limp, not a good sign. I called Trent and then ran and got the sheep book. I made a mixture the book suggested to help with the bloating. Trent called several people and finally we decided to have her checked out by the vet. I know we're raising them for food, but we decided it would be good to talk to a vet about our little flock, get her advice on what we can do to possibly help this one and keep the rest of them healthy. It was a good call. She thought the sheep was too far gone, but gave us some things we could try. She also gave us advice on what immunizations to administer and what we could do with the rest of them. The little guy actually pulled through. When I called the office to thank the vet, she was shocked it had survived. We did all the things she suggested for the rest of the lambs as well and all seem to be healthy, Yeah!!!
After this crisis was over I called the ac guys. The Budget people who installed the system 3 years ago told us it was still under warranty,... the parts, that is. He told us it would be $950 in labor to repair the system! What!?!... are you serious!. We paid the diagnostic fee and sent him on his way. I'd had a good experience with Hiller so I called them again. Nathan, from Hiller, was able to fix the problem in less than an hour and the grand total was $209, a far cry from the $1000 the other guy would have charged, what a Wiener!!!
Things seem to be going well now, Thank Goodness. I sure am glad life isn't like this all the time. We're told there is an opposition in all things, I guess I needed a lesson in appreciation for the good things in my life:)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a time you've had! I'm so glad your little lamb is okay. I don't know how you handle it all! I hope May is a nice and relaxed month for you---you deserve it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! All those bills-- how painful! And look at those cute lambs. How can you eat them? -- Esp. after you nursed one back to health from the edge.

    ReplyDelete