Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pinewood Derby

(Jake is holding his car in one hand, and his grand prize of a harmonica in the other)

We recently had our Pack's Pinewood Derby. This is the first one in three years that I have not had to be at least semi in charge of (released as Primary President last June). I am the current Webelos leader, but whenever anyone asked me any questions I plead ignorance and steered them to the Cubmasters, it was absolutely wonderful! I sat in the audience with friends and was able to just enjoy the races. Jacob and Trent had fun coming up with a very unique design, that happened to be well weighted. In fact, Jacob not only won his division, but also the entire competition. Jacob is a Webelos scout, therefore this was his last Derby, what a way to go out!
Guess I should add a side note: The front of the car is hollowed out, so Trent and Jake pushed straight pins into the two front points and then strung dental floss between them. This was so the car didn't begin 3 inches ahead of everyone else, they didn't think the other scouts would have liked that.

2 comments:

  1. Very impressive! We did the derby once, and only once. My son came in dead last and refused to ever do it again...But I guess with 5 boys, you guys have figured out the secret design!!! I bet you could sell it for big money:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've done the dead last thing, but usually we do the "just slow enough to not place". It was fun to actually have a winner!

    ReplyDelete